The second edition of ”Professional Ballet Photography” started on October 19, 2021, celebrating the World Ballet Day 2021, has coming one more step to the end! 31 of January has been the last open day for enrolment and votes. The contest has already entered in it’s second phase: jury vote!
The first 21 works in the order of the number of votes given by the public will enter the second stage of the contest, for the jury vote, from 2022 January 31 to 2022 February 28. The jury votes will select the best 3 photos of the contest but also will grant 4 special prizes for the very special 4 works.
The second edition of ”Professional Ballet Photography” ended on January 31
Almost 80 worldwide photographers artists, over 200 photos submitted, dozens of famous dancers both locally and internationally, more than 8000 votes counted and over 30.000 access to the contest’s page. Those are the main statistics of the first phase of the most well-known Central and East European professional ballet photo project.
The second edition of ”Professional Ballet Photography” started on October 19, 2021, and from then, almost 80 photographers from Russia thru Western Europe to Asia & Australia reaching Latin America uploaded more than 200 photos. Many of the photographers are collaborators both with some of the most famous ballerinas but also with the greatest national or international ballet companies all over the world. And this is why in general the photo subjects are either dancers on some of the most important international companies or students and graduates from the highest-rated international ballet schools.
All the pictures captured the public interest. More than 8000 votes has been counted on the Ballet Magazine’s site, until January 31st, 2022 when it ends the first stage of the contest.
The top 21 in the public vote will enter the second stage of the contest, with the jury vote during February 2022. If 2 or 3 works by the same author are included among the 21 photos with the most votes received from the public, only one work will be selected for the stage of the jury vote, respectively the one with the most votes.
Please find below the top 21 photographers, with their works scored with the higher number of votes given by the public, that has entered on the next stage of jury scoring.
TOP 21 photographers “PROFESIONAL BALLET PHOTOGRAPHY, 2021 EDITION” by Ballet Magazine
21 Luca Migliore, www.lucamigliore.com
20 Claudia Mesa, www.sinergiafotografia.com
19 Nikita Alba, www.nikitaalba.com
18 Aleksandar Tomovski, www.aleksandartomovski.com
17 Angel Marie Tisdale, www.atdance.art
16 Andrey Stepanov, NA
15 Oksana Zinchenko, NA
14 Filippo Jorio, NA
13 Patrick Van Landeghem, www.patspictures.lu
12 Tonya Ekimova, www.ekimovaphoto.ru
11 Wilfred van Tilburg, www.wvantilburgphotography.com
10 Ionel Onofras, NA
9 Marissa Miller, www.marissa-miller.com
8 Claudia Toggweiler, www.enscene.ch
7 Shipulina Valentina, www.taplink.cc/shipulina_photo
6 Fursa Anna, www.fursaanna.ru
5 Bob Karman, www.bobkarman.nl
4 Thanasouli Eirni, NA
3 Mariana Salles, www.marianasallesfotografia.46graus.com
2 Lorenzo Gatto, www.lorengatto.wixsite.com/lorenzogatto
1 Evdokimova Elena, www.evdokimovaelena.ru
”Professional Ballet Photography 2021” jury members are all of the great personalities in the ballet community
Jury members are all of the great personalities and very well known professionals both locally and internationally:
– OVIDIU DRAGOMAN, founder, and manager of Sibiu Ballet Theatre,
– ALIN GHEORGHIU artistic advisor for the ballet company of the Bucharest National Opera, awarded with Romanian Cultural Merit Order,
– DARIA CHENIKOVA international ballet photographer based in Moscow, working with artists from the best theaters in the world, including the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow and the Mariinsky Theater in Saint Petersburg,
– NATASHA MAIR principal dancer at the English National Ballet and principal guest in many lead roles and galas in Europe and overseas,
– MIHAIL CRATOFIL former photographer for the Bucharest National Opera, with many of his works included in books such as „Pedestal for ephemeridae” and „50 seasons of the new Bucharest National Opera”,
– PAUL DANIEL SCHNEIDER a continuous explorer of the unique field of ballet photography and keeping Romanian ballet photography alive, published the very first photo album with ballet photography in Romania,
– MANUELA ARDELEAN first principal dancer of the Romanian National Opera Timișoara ballet company, also teaches ballet for a couple of years and has a college degree in Economics Science in 2009 and a Master degree in Tourism Management,
– MARINA MINOIU artist of The Royal Danish Ballet, former first Soloist with the National Bucharest Opera until 2016, was nominated for the Outstanding Performance by a Female Dancer in 2015 by Dance Europe Magazine,
– OANA IONITA manager of „Dance Planet” school in Bucharest, founder of the intensive dance development program for young talents „Dance Motion” and manager of the prestigious competition „Young Artist Grand Prix”,
– VIVIA SĂNDULESCU shared her activities between teaching and writing. She has been teaching a variety of subjects related to dance in schools and universities in Bucharest, Constanta, and Iasi, and also works extensively as a ballet critic and historian.
The Jury Commission will select the three most artistically successful works. For the awarding of these special prizes, the jury’s appreciation will be made exclusively from an artistic point of view. Each of the 21 works will receive a score from 1 to 10 from each of the members of the commission and the first three photos, according to the sum of the points obtained, will be awarded as follows:
First prize – EUR 300
Second prize – EUR 200
Third prize – EUR 100
The winners will be announced by publishing the jury’s decision on the Ballet Magazine website. The jury will be able to award additional prizes worth EUR 400, in the form of four “Special Prizes”.
“PROFESIONAL BALLET PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST, 2021 EDITION” is the only project in South, Central & Eastern Europe that aims to promote ballet photography and artists with works in this field.